A MezquitaChurch of San Martiño
A church built in 1712, the work of the architect trained in Salamanca and Monforte de Lemos, Simon of Monasterio, son of Juan de Herrera, creator of the Escorial.
It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931. It has a single nave and presents a classic facade, inspired by that of the College of the Cardinal of Monforte, with a Doric hallway between columns and pilasters that support a floor. On the pediment two beautiful shields with the arms of the marquises of the house of Láncara. The structure is completed with a strong bell tower. In the interior there is an interesting Baroque altarpiece (1) articulated in three channels and four horizontal sections attributed to the sculptor Xosé Ferreiro. The temple consists of a nave of three sections finished in a quadrangular apse with presbytery. The main doorway (2), inspired by the triumphal arches of antiquity, appears framed by two lateral buttresses and a pair of columns that support a classicist entablature that combines, under a triangular pediment, triglyphs, rosettes, dentils and a cornice.
From a structural point of view, the central section of the facade is the longitudinal axis, marked by the succession of pediment, cartouche and window, a balanced and solemn design that follows the outline of the facade of the College of the Cardinal of Monforte.
The site enjoys a solemnity and balance typical of the full renaissance, a style of Castilian taste that rigorously adopts classicist proportions. In the transept of the temple, there is a coffering barrel vault (3) and the pantheon of the Cadórniga family (4), dated to the beginning of the 19th century. XVII, a total of four double-sided alcoves of which two remain empty. The authorship of this project, inspired by the royal tombs of Escorial and intended to house the remains of the Cadórniga, Sarmiento and Losada families, is also due to the work of Simón de Monasterio.
Vault and pantheon
In the transept of the church there is a vaulted vault and the pantheon of the Cadórniga family, dating from the early 17th century, a total of four double niches, two of which are still empty. The authorship of this project, inspired by the royal tombs of the Escorial and intended to house the remains of the Cadórniga, Sarmiento and Losada families, is also due to Simón de Monasterio.