O PereiroRiver Pereiro bridge
The bridge spans the River do Pereiro, which rises from the Portela da Canda. At the height of O Pereiro, the Regueiro das Cortiñas or Regueiro do Carrizal flows into our river. In the year 1849, this bridge was made of wood, as Pascual Madoz accredits. At that time, O Pereiro was a parish washed by "a stream that rises in Portela da Canda, and in Villanueva de la Sierra, runs between South and West and has a wooden bridge at this point, and heads towards Portugal to flow into the Duero". The same author writes about the River Pereiro, that "it carries enough water; in winter in a few places it can be forded on horseback, and during the summer it has enough to drive a flour mill; on both banks it fertilises many meadows; from its source until it enters Portugal it has 5 bridges, 4 of them of wood with stone pillars, and another of a stone arch called Veiga-da-llas; and it breeds trout, eels, and other small fish". In 1866, our bridge was still made of wood and the road linking O Pereiro with A Mezquita "starts on the left of the road from Villacastín to Vigo (...) at the Pereiro inns. It is a bridle path. 0.5 km from the start, the river Diabredo is crossed over a poor bridge made of tree trunks, and the path ascends through broken terrain, where there are some meadows and woods, to cross, 4 km from O Pereiro, a branch of the Segundera mountain range, which divides the waters of the rivers Diabredo and Tuela'.
O Pereiro in 1936
Vicente Risco describes this parish as follows in 1936: "San Pedro del Pereiro, to the north of the municipality and on the Castilla road, borders: to the north, with Vilavella and Villanueva de la Sierra (Zamora); to the east, with Santigoso; to the south, with La Mezquita, and to the west, with Tameirón (A Gudiña). It is crossed by two streams that come from the Segundera mountain range and then join together to go to Tameirón, forming one of the branches of the Diabredo. It includes the places of Pereiro and Sobreosmuiños".