O PereiroChurch of San Pedro
The temple dedicated to San Pedro, built with stone walls, has a façade with a door under a semicircular arch, formed by large voussoirs. It has an architrave in the centre of the gable, as well as a belfry with two twin arches with an architrave in the upper third prolonged in the acute triangular pediment, with a stone cross at the end. On the south façade there is a lintelled doorway with a semi-circular rustic pediment with a cross and pyramids of buns on the tympanum, as well as two rectangular windows. The church is from the 18th century, with a good carving of the patron saint, Saint Peter, in Baroque style. There is a chalice from the 18th century, and a silver ciborium; very interesting is the monstrance from 1781 (JN D | CAS | R), in which an angel is holding the sun on which the sacred form is placed. This church is annexed to the church of Santa María de A Vilavella.
O Pereiro en 1849
Pascual Madoz describes what this parish was like in 1849: "The climate is cold, and the most frequent winds are from the East and South. It has 50 houses, and a primary school attended for three months in winter, and paid for by the children's parents (...) The land is made up of woodland and the soil is of medium quality; it is bathed by a stream that rises in the Portela de A Canda, and in Villanueva de la Sierra, runs between South and West and has a wooden bridge, and heads towards Portugal to drain into the Duero: in the mountainous part there are some oaks, holm oaks and pasture grasses. The Camino Real, which comes from Castile and Madrid, crosses through the village. The post is received in A Vilavella. It produces rye, potatoes, pulses and vegetables; there are cattle, sheep, goats and some brood mares; partridges, rabbits, hares, roe deer, deer, wolves and foxes are hunted, and eels and trout are fished. Population: 50 inhabitants and 160 souls".