O PereiroChapel of Loreto
This chapel is located next to the road to Santiago and was built in 1681, according to the researcher Rivas Quintas. It stands out for the open chapterhouse in front of the main façade, covered and supported by four truncated conical columns of Doric order.
The doorway has a semicircular arch with large voussoirs. The belfry that crowns the façade starts from a body formed by curved, concave-shaped fins, with a semicircular arch preceded by a listel in the upper third. It is finished by a stone cross on a trapezoidal profile body flanked by wave-shaped fins.
The interior of the chapel has a Baroque altarpiece from the 18th century; Baroque carvings of Santa Rosa and the Virgin of Loreto, the latter from the 19th century. There is also a San Roque and a Dolorosa, also baroque.
The Virgin of Loreto, also known as the Virgin of the Pilgrims, takes its name from the Italian town of Loreto, where Christians believe the Virgin Mary was born, the same place where she would receive the announcement of the Incarnation and where she would also live with Joseph and his son Jesus of Nazareth. In 1603 Caravaggio painted a famous painting in which he depicts the meeting between this Virgin with the naked child on her lap and two humble pilgrims on their knees, dirty and humble.